Jugiong is in the central east of the Riverina, 40 klm north-east of Gundagai. It is on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. Jugiong is aboriginal for ballet of the crows.
It was first settled in 1820 by an Irishman, Henry O’Brien who took up a holding of 125,000 acres which he called “Jugiong Run”.
The village of Jugiong was gazetted in 1853.
- The Post Office was opened in 1856
- In 1858 the police watch tower was built.
- Work started on St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in 1858
- Work began in 1872 on the Christ Church Anglican Church
- Jugiong school opened in 1883 with 56 students. Today there are 30 students with 3 teachers.
- Under tuition of his father, Ritchie Benaud, Australian cricketer and commentator, began his schooling at Jugiong in 1935.